Cowhides Rugs are relatively easy to look after and maintain. They look fabulous in all types of situations and work well with the usage levels of either a home or work environment. If the hide is to be used in an entrance hall or an area where the cowhide will be walked on, you should expect to see early signs of wear.
As well as this, if the rug is kept in direct sunlight then you will also see some fading of the product. Ideally your Cowhide should be used as a decorative item in low traffic areas as this will make sure your hide is lasts for many years.
With correct care and washing processes you can make sure that you rug always looks its best.
When it comes to cleaning your cowhide we do recommend not to immerse it in water, place in a washing machine or even have the product dry cleaned. This leaves you with the question; how will I get it clean?
Believe it or not this is a much simpler question then you might imagine. To clean your cowhide successfully with minimum damage to your precious item simply stick to the following Cowhide Rug Care Guide
- Remove any solid mess with a spatula. Or leave to dry and brush out.
- Once you have done this it’s time to blot away the rest of the stain. You can do this by wiping smoothly in the direction of the hair with a damp cloth. The cloth must not be wet, merely just damp.
- Spills must be treated immediately by gently blotting the liquid to try and avoid it soaking into the hide. Use a good quality absorbent kitchen towel or sponge.
- You can also choose to use a mild soap to clean the rug, but this must be non-alkaline, like a wool shampoo.
- Cowhides can be hovered like a normal rug, and we also recommend that you shake the rug outside to remove any dust that may be lingering or small, loose patches of dirt too.
- If you notice that the hair on your rug has started to look at little flat then you can use a hard plastic brush to rework the hairs and give them back their soft and fluffy appearance
- If you show your rug some love and attention then you can expect to receive many years of enjoyment from your Cowhide rug. But there are also some tips you must remember so as not to damage your hide.
- Never use any harsh cleaning chemicals to remove stains, even those that state that they are colour safe may not be appropriate for cleaning your cowhide.
- If you do need to use any products you should test how it will react with your rug by testing a small area first.
- Never use heat to dry your rug, or place in a dryer of any description.
- Do Not Have It Dry Cleaned.
- Do Not Soak your hide completely in water. If it does get wet by accident, leave to dry naturally away from direct sunlight
Just by recognising these danger points you can have a rug that will stand the test of time.
Enjoy your Cowhide!